Join the dynamic, innovative atmosphere at ASI Doors, Inc., the leading manufacturer of high-performance door systems for cold storage, industrial and cleanroom applications. ASI provides a competitive salary as well as an excellent benefits package.
SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Product Designer is responsible for designing new or modified products according to established engineering specifications.
They utilize computer aided drafting techniques to perform applicable drafting work. Make required calculations to determine and establish acceptable standards of performance, material selection and type of construction. Prepare sketches or drawings, set up specifications and other pertinent design data for layout drawings. Work closely with engineering to analyze material costs and optimize designs for manufacturability. Opportunities to specialize in specific product applications with highly technical requirements. May support new product development activities as needed.
- Review design goals and specifications to develop working layouts and perform mathematical computations needed for product design. Develop necessary operating clearance and tolerances for all individual components.
- Perform preliminary and advanced work in the development of working layouts and final production drawings, adequate for detailing parts and units of design for new proposals and current designs.
- Create design studies, tolerance stack-ups, layouts, drawings, calculations, weight estimates, supporting documentation, etc., as needed to establish acceptable standards of performance, material selection and type of construction.
- Check design work of layouts, including form, fit, function, materials, specification callouts, geometrics, dimensioning, and other information as directed. Revise size, shape and arrangement of parts to create manufacturing drawings.
- Supervise and assist in construction and testing of prototypes. Prepare purchase requests and modify shop orders as needed for prototypes.
- Consider DFM & ASI manufacturing capabilities in all design projects and identify new or external manufacturing processes or sources needed to complete projects.
- Produce new and make modifications to existing product owners and technical bulletins, etc., for all product lines as needed.
- Facilitate the Engineering Change Request/Notice (ECR/ECN) procedure through to completion.
- Prepare ECN documentation for new product and existing product design changes. Work with Product Engineers to provide supporting ECN documentation as needed.
- Perform liaison function between Engineering staff and all internal departments, including Purchasing, Quality Assurance, Sales, Production, Accounting, Metal Finishing and Assembly as needed.
- Work with Product Engineers, Quality and Service Departments to define problem areas and implement product improvements based on customer repair/performance concerns.
- Assist with the investigation and analysis of capital expenditure projects for manufacturing.
- Proactively support new product development, contribute to the design, process and technology required from prototype to commercialization.
- Provide manufacturing support and investigate root causes to clearly identify opportunities for improvements.
- Help with managing nonconforming material dispositions to drive to root cause solutions.
- Assist with identifying and implement existing product redesigns and enhancements to meet customer needs.
- Implement part data into the ERP system (Item Masters, BOM’s, & Routings).
- Manage ERP shop order modifications for custom order implementation.
- Travel as needed to gather prototype field test data or support Sales and Field Service when necessary.
- Mentor less experienced Designers and Drafters.
- Keep supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Associate degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in mechanical design.
- Minimum five years or more related experience and/or training; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS ETC:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with SolidWorks 3D and AutoCAD 2D software programs. Able to work with Microsoft Office suite of software programs.
- Able to read and interpret documents such as customer blueprints, specifications and government standards.
- Ability to produce technical documents for ASI products in Microsoft Publisher from various digital formats, including owners’ manuals and field technical bulletins.
- Experience in sheet metal fabrication design, including flat development, weldments and stamping required. Some experience in plastics preferred.
If you are ready for a rewarding opportunity, please submit your resume along with salary requirements.
Our Mission: Achieving high performance by opening up our employees, partners, and customers to what’s possible for growth.
Our Values: Accountability, Service and Integrity
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $0.00 /hour
- SolidWorks: 2 years (Required)
- AutoCAD: 2 years (Required)
- product design: 5 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
Please mention that you come from ManageForThem
when applying for this job.